1. The name of the branch shall be “The Australian Society of Soil Science, Inc, Riverina Branch”.
2. The Branch operates under the constitution of the Australian Society of Soil Science, Inc, and shall be administered by a committee. The committee shall have power to co-opt members to assist in the work of the branch.
3. The objects of the Branch are those of the Australian Society of Soil Science,Inc.
4. Members of the Branch shall be financial members of the Australian Society of Soil Science,Inc.
5. The Branch committee shall consist of a President, Secretary and Treasurer. The Secretary and Treasurer roles may be combined. There will preferably be a Vice-President appointed, who will be President-elect. A Publicity Officer may also be appointed. This gives from two to five officers on the Branch Committee.
6. The Treasurer and at least one other officer shall come from one location, as at least two signatories are required for the operation of the cheque account. The President, Secretary and Vice-President shall also be signatories to branch funds.
7. All office bearers shall assume duties on the first day of July. They shall hold office for two years and be eligible for re-election.
8. There shall be an Annual General Meeting. The President will report on the Branch’s activities for the year and on those activities of Federal Council which affect the Branch. Copies of the Report will be circulated to Branch members.
9. Officers shall be elected at a Biennial General Meeting (that is, every second AGM) which shall be held before the end of the financial year 1982 and every 2 years thereafter.
10. The Branch shall hold a minimum of three meetings annually. The time and place of meetings will be determined by the committee.
11. Members will be given at least 14 days notice of meetings.
12. A quorum will be one-fifth of all financial members of the Branch, fractions being neglected. If a quorum is not present the meeting may proceed but decisions need to be ratified by a subsequent meeting.
13. The presiding officer at meetings will be the Branch President, or in their absence the Vice-President, or in their absence the Secretary, or in their absence the Treasurer, or a delegated Chair elected by the meeting.
14. All members have one vote. The President or Chair shall additionally have one casting vote.
15. If a vacancy occurs on the committee the position shall be filled by co-option of a suitable member by the remaining members of the committee.
16. Alteration to these By-Laws shall be made by postal or email ballot of all financial members of the Branch. Such a ballot shall be held following a resolution approved by an ordinary meeting of the Branch.
17. All money of the Branch shall be paid into bank accounts in the name of the Riverina Branch of the Society.
18. All cheques and Bank withdrawals shall be authorised byany two of the President, Vice-President, Secretary or Treasurer.
19. The account of the Branch shall be audited annually by an auditor appointed by the Branch committee. A financial statement shall be circulated to all members.
20. Subscriptions shall be payable each year to Federal Council via the Central Office.
21. The Branch component of the subscription shall be reviewed annually by the Committee and any proposed alteration presented to members at a Branch meeting.