Victorian Branch By-Laws
(Adopted at a General meeting of the Branch, 10 August 1956, modified at a General meeting of the Branch, 11 August 2000, and modified at a General meeting of the Branch, 23 November 2012)
1. The Branch affairs shall be managed by a Committee consisting of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and two other members. Officers shall assume office at the next meeting of the Branch Committee following their election and hold office for two years.
2. Election of officers shall take place at the Annual General Meeting. Nominations in writing accompanied by the nominee’s consent to serve should reach the Secretary prior to the start of the Annual General Meeting.
Appointment of Proxies
3. Any financial member who is unable to attend a general meeting may appoint another financial member as proxy to represent them personally.
4. Any member of the Committee may appoint another financial member of the Branch to be their proxy at committee meetings.
Quorum at Meetings
5. At committee meetings the quorum shall be three members.
6. At general meetings the quorum shall be twenty (20) financial members of the Branch (or their proxies) for the transaction of business of a General meeting.
Vacancies in Committee Offices
7. If a vacancy should occur in any of the Committee offices, the Committee may appoint a financial member of the Branch to that office for the remainder of the two-year term. Any such appointment shall be subject to ratification at the next general meeting of the Branch.
8. The Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the financial activities of the Branch, shall collect and receive all monies due to the Branch and make all payments authorised by the Branch, and prepare an annual statement of accounts and balance sheet to be presented at the Annual General Meeting.
9. Cheques shall be signed by the Treasurer and counter signed by the President, Vice-President or Secretary.
10a. The Secretary shall prepare minutes of general and committee meetings and under the direction of the Committee, conduct the correspondence of the branch.
10b. The Treasurer shall obtain a current list of financial members from the Executive Officer of the society for committee meetings.
11. The Annual General Meeting shall be held during the month of November to coincide with the Branch’s G.W. Leeper Memorial Lecture. Reports from the retiring office bearers shall be received, the Branch subscription for the ensuing two years determined and the incoming Committee elected.
12. The other general meetings shall be held as determined by the Committee. At least one week's notice shall be given of any general meeting, specifying the date, time and place of the meeting, and the nature of the business to be transacted.
13. The Committee shall convene a special general meeting at the written request of five financial members of the Branch.
14. The Branch subscription shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting and shall be payable with the Federal subscription on January 1 each year.
Alteration of By-laws
15. Alterations to the By-laws may be made at any general meeting, provided that written notice of such proposed alterations, signed by five financial members, reaches the Secretary at least two weeks before the meeting.
16. Approval for alterations must be by an absolute majority of financial members at the general meeting.